Wednesday, 2 May 2007

My first day in Canada

Hi everyone,

I’m writing to you from Leon’s kitchen – my laptop’s placed on this enormous island in the middle of the room, and I’m sitting next to Irene and Alexander, who are having cornflakes and preparing for school. I had my breakfast an hour ago, two slices of bread with huge American strawberries (tasty!)

That was the first thing that struck me when exploring the kitchen; everything’s big. Milk comes in four liter cans, the box of strawberries was 1 kilo and I even spotted a 500g bag of grated cheese!

Anyway, I’ll tell you a little bit more about my journey.

After having packed my bags yesterday morning, I took the train to Schiphol together with my wee brother Mathijs, Ramon, Harry and Sid. They came to say goodbye and after hugging each of them I passed customs.

I had a flight from Amsterdam to London Heathrow, which took approximately forty-five minutes. This trip was quite enjoyable, because I was seated to a friendly Indian woman who seemed to feel a little nervous about flying. I helped her take pictures of Amsterdam from the air, and this seemed to calm her down a little bit.

After an hour of waiting on Heathrow and enjoying my first Starbucks brewed cappuccino, I got on my enormous plane to Vancouver (a Boeing 747, the thing’s absolutely gigantic). The scheduled nine-hour trip didn’t really take as long as I expected, mainly because I was properly entertained. There was a little seven inch screen installed in the back of the seat’s headrest, on which films and television shows were played throughout the flight. I watched ‘Casino Royale’, ‘Music and Lyrics’ (I have to admit Saar, it was pleasurable) and an episode of ‘Joey’ (which was awful).

They also displayed a map on the screen, which showed the location of the plane, the altitude, the ground speed (a steady 500 miles/h) the expected time of arrival. I tried to photograph the screen, but it turned out blurry.

Leon was waiting for me at the airport and took me to his (big – I wonder how often I used a synonym for big in this text) house. After having said hello to everyone, I took a shower (in my own bloody bathroom) and just sat on my bed for a while. I was planning on going downstairs, but sleep got the best of me and I dropped off. (It was 7 AM in the Netherlands, you know!)

Leon will be taking me on a tour of the neighbourhood later on today, during which I will most likely come across more interesting Canadian things.

See you soon!

r x




Here is a small clip on which I give small tour of my room; enjoy!

13 comments:

Ruben van Zantvoort said...

The lay-out is messed up because the box in which the text and pictures are placed is too small. I'll try to fix this!

r x

Anonymous said...

Hey Ruben, focking sweet man je badkamer ik zou er zo ook wel een willen hebben. Het ziet er naar uit dat je vlucht goed is gegaan en dat je veilig bent aangekomen (music and lyrics is ook leuk Pop! goes my heart) nou het gaat denk ik helemaal goedkomen.

groet je wee broertje

Anonymous said...

hej ruben! ziet er goed uit! damn! volgens mij gaat t helemaal goedkomen daar! ik hou je blog in de gaten. ik ben nog steeds ziek en SARO gaat hoogstwaarschijnlijk niet door maar dat vertel ik nog wel een keertje op msn deze week. nou geniet ervan :-D
kus nintendo caro

Bart said...

Such a small room, such a small house. Oh boy, I feel sorry for you!

It seems that your voyage to Canada was a pleasant one. The Boeing 747 is indeed enormous.

Supposedly everything has been set and organized for you which is great, hope your first few days will be comfortable there.

Anonymous said...

Hey there!
I tried calling u but you didn't pick up (i suppose u were busy with travel-stuff and saying goodbye to people), hopefully u did get my textmessage :) Too bad u weren't in the center on Monday, it was cool, i had a blast :D
Looks like ur trip was good, and wow, ur such a lucky bastard with ur own bathroom and shit :o Enjoy it to the fullest and as i said ill keep checking out ur blog :)

xx Laura

Anonymous said...

Murder? I'd wipe out half of the Netherlands for a room like that!

How long will you stay there anyway? And what more are you going to amaze us with? Keep posting and have fun.

Anonymous said...

hey Ruben, goed om te zien dat je heel bent aangekomen ;)succes en veel plezier daar! oh en ik hoop dat je zaterdag aan me denkt :P, moet ik zonder jou sluiten! hoop dat ik me niet ga vervelen dan :S

Sander

Ruben van Zantvoort said...

@ Mathijs

Kan je even aan Gerda doorgeven dat ik veilig aangekomen ben?

@ Laura

I haven't really been available yesterday morning, due to pre-travel stress. I'm sorry, really appreciate you phoning me :)

There's a good chance I'll buy a cheap mobile phone tomorrow -> I'll make sure to post the number so you can send text messages or even phone if there's a real emergency ;)

@ Stephan

I will be staying for about four weeks, returning at June 1st.

And about the things I'll be doing? A visit to down-town Vancouver has been scheduled for tomorrow, there's been talk of checking out NASCAR races, hopefully I can visit a high school this week, and I'm appearently going to help run a golf-tournament (it's crazy)

Cheers!

r x

Anonymous said...

aZat al op je eerste post te wachten en sodeju, das nog es een goed onderkomen. Maar je bent nu vast bezig met wat veldwerk, dus ik wens u veel plezier, ende ik ga plat, tis hier laat zat.

x

Anonymous said...

Nice man, ziet er goed uit. morgen downtown wordt ook zeker gaaf ;)
groetjes ana mn familie. Have fun!
xr

Anonymous said...

Dag lieve Ruben,
Net terug van Texel en meteen jouw blog gelezen. Wat een luxe! Moet je die hele badkamer zelf poetsen of hebben ze daar personeel voor? Het zou me niet verbazen. Ik vind het fijn om je verrichtingen in het verre Canada te volgen. Doe de hartelijke groeten aan je gastouders. Gerda

Anonymous said...

Man, where's the Ruben in Scotland blog? eh? eh?

I'm not angry, just disappointed

ramadamadingdong

Anonymous said...

Godver, wat een kamer. En daar slaap jij een maand in!? Lucky motherfucking bastard!

Veel plezier daar in ieder geval, spreek je later!

Niels