I'm glad to see everyone enjoys reading my posts, so here's another one :)
Today I made my way to down-town Vancouver, by bus, to see what the third largest city in Canada was like. My first impression: rainy. (luckily, that cleared up) I decided to fuel up in the local Starbucks - one of the 98(!) in Vancouver - with a moca-frappo-cappo-chino and head over to the centre.
On my way I stumbled upon Hasting Street, one of the more notorious places of Vancouver. Ramon had told me that the place was crawling with scum, hobo's and drug addicts. That's why I recorded this small clip after having passed the area, to sum up my thoughts on Hasting Street. It was intented for Ramon only, but I might as well post it here:
There was a lot of strolling around, being lost, looking for the sky-train stops and taking the Sea Bus (it's basically a giant bath-tub) to cross the waters between Vancouver and North Vancouver.
I even ran into a girl who was carrying a very early copy of the Webster's Dictionary and we got talking about the English language, Vancouver, school and some other things. She helped me find some local record stores, which sold a LOT of house music. While delving through the electro/techno trays I found the newest records from Tiga's label, Turbo. D.I.M - Airbus baby. It's a belter!
Something that's definitely worth mentioning: Canadians are extremely friendly! When I was standing on a street corner, looking a tad confused, people came over to help me, asking me if I needed directions or even taking me by the hand to the nearest bus stop.
I met this man when I asked for directions, his name was George, born in Austria and moved to Canada thirty years ago. I got to hear his entire life story, his opinions on the second world war, president Bush's policies, North-Americans, Utrecht and so on, and so on. He was very fascinated by my English and look a real liking to me. After having anwsered his question 'have you ever had dim-sun?' with 'no', he gave me his phone number and insisted I called him to meet up during the weekend to go to a Chinese restaurant and have dim-sun with him and his wife. It's unlikely I'll be taking him up on this offer, but who knows :)
Tomorrow we're having a BBQ here, with Leon and Maye's friends. Appearantly, I'm on beer-drinking duties. So that's good 8)
r x
Thursday, 3 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Vancouver Bum-city, ruben is on beer-duty... uhu =)
Well,
it's a good thing meeting friendly people who are willing to help you. Do we ever come across that in the Netherlands? - We don't.
I like the videos too, as well as the idea of having beer-drinking duties. Couldn't be any better could it?
Enjoy your day mate!
Dag Ruben,
Na een week heerlijke vakantie morgen weer gewoon aan het werk. Wanneer begin je met je vrijwilligerswerk of kijk je eerst nog even rond? Ik ben benieuwd naar je eerste indrukken/ervaringen. Laat het me weten. Verder ga ik dinsdag het rovershol op zolder eens grondig schoonmaken want dat is wel nodig. Veel liefs ook van Pierre, je moeder Gerda.
Post a Comment