Yesterday morning I received a phone call from Deborah , manger of resource development at the RYSA. I was going to tag along with her to the Richmond Community Foundation golf tournament, not by playing, but doing volunteer work. Deborah was great company and I very much enjoyed being around her. When we arrived at the Richmond country club we ate a hot-dog, grabbed our drinks and started looking for the person in charge, who was going to tell us what our duties for the day were.
They drove us out to hole 15, where we were in charge of beer and water. I don’t know if you’ve ever catered to golf-playing businessmen, but they tend to respond very cheerfully to free beers. Some even called it ‘aiming juice’. Deborah and I were very comfortable in the sun, chatting about volunteering, doing studies in foreign countries, etc. Because she’s hooked up in local school boards, I asked her to help me arrange some secondary school sight-seeing, and she kindly agreed to help me out. (More about that later today)
For the last hour and a half I was put at the start of hole 14 (also named the teeing ground) where all the teams took their first shot. My hole, however, was special. If someone managed to make a hole-in-one on this 185-yard hole, they would get a cheque for 10.000 dollars. The price would be jokingly referred to by the businessmen as ‘a good start for when you’re buying me drinks tonight’. Some even said they’d hide the money from their wives or having spent the cash already. When the end neared, the combination of beer (which they had been drinking all day) and the burning sun kicked in, which made it difficult for most of the teams to try and hit the $ 10.000 shot.
When the tournament was over, the volunteers were each given a golf cart to pick up the stuff that was left behind on the court. As everyone who reads this probably knows, I’m not a big fan of driving cars, and was a little skeptical about these little buggies. I struggled with the reverse, the wheel and pretty much everyone that could go wrong, went wrong in the first minute. I almost hit a bag with expensive clubs! After that I got my act together and started making my way to hole 4. And I love to admit; driving is AWESOME! Especially when you get to speed around an empty golf court. I put on my new sunglasses as I conquered the little hills, dodged the trees and mud puddles and tried to race my fellow-volunteers. The only thing I did miss were arrows on the ground, bananas-bombs and blue shells to take out the leader .
In all, it was a great day. I’m very glad to have helped the community by selling tickets, watching for holes-in-one, handing out free beverages and picking up trash.
r x
18 comments:
cool!
looks like you're having the time of your life over there ;)
You didn't make your own banana-bomb to throw at your fellow-volunteers, did you?
xs
Hey die Ruben,
Zie nu pas dat je ook kan reageren op je spannende verhalen :) Duh... Maar goed, leuk om te lezen wat je daarzo ver van ons weg aan het doen bent!! Ook nog mooi om mijn Engels even te oefenen...
xx Krista
@ Krista
leuk je te 'zien' :-)Ik hou me, zoals je waarschijnlijk kan zien, prima bezig hier met allerlei dingetjes. Vanmiddag ga ik een twaalf-jarige jongen begeleiden in een tutor-project waar ik mezelf in heb weten te wurmen!
@ Sid
I should have, but was a little short on fruit at the time.
Tiger Woods,
we hope to have you back by the end of May. If not, please arrange me the key to your house so that I can collect some of your vinyl you will most likely not be listening to again
@ Bart
No way Hose! When are you leaving for Bristol by the way? Packed all your things yet?
r x
Hiye Ruben,
I will be leaving for Bristol next Friday around 9:40PM, to arrive at Bristol International Airport around 10PM. My taxi cab (a Ford Galaxy) has been arranged already, which will take me to Montpelier rightaway.
Do you really think I have packed my bag(s) already?
Bart
You'll probably be packing on friday-morning, around six am.
:)
How's school going without me? Did the presentation go well last monday?
Tiger Vulion y'all!
TBH I didn't read all the posts in detail but from what I understand you are having fun and seeing new places, meeting new people which is always nice!
Be cool and have fun!
Ark.
ziet er goed uit allemaal! maar dat regenwoud blijf ik raar vinden...
seeya! x caro
Golf is gay, golven in de zon in Vancouver is gay, troep opruimen tijdens golf is gay,
ik ben zelf gay tering vet man
Booya, dat wil ik ook nog een keertje doen, rondscheuren in zo'n karretje! Wel lekker vrijwilligerswerk! By the way, ik heb 'n gaaf kaartje voor je gehaald, deze zomer gaat dus nog harder, beter, sneller en sterker worden! ;)
x h
p.s. mail me ff je rek. nummer!
"The only thing I did miss were arrows on the ground, bananas-bombs and blue shells to take out the leader."
*Mario Kart flashback kicks in* Geweldig! :D Goed geschreven stuk trouwens.
@ Panos
Wow man! haven't spoken to you in years! great to see you're still interested :)
@ Harry
oooooooooooooooh. *HUMAN*? =)
@ Niels
het voelde serieus een beetje aan als Mario Kart, haha. Ik vloog daar over dat perfecte gemaaide gras heen, echt geweldig :D
r x
Hey broertje,
Het gaat duidelijk heel goed daar met je. Gerda gaat eerder naar jou blog kijken dan naar de kippen dat moet veel zeggen.
Ik vind het zelf akelig stil hier en heb net mijn tentame week afgesloten nog een week en dan examen.
Nog veel plezier daar.
groeten je broertje
Haha, most likely not before Friday 6PM.
Hm, we have to add some stuff to the presentation, plan is to do that next week.
Hi Ruben!
What amazing stories you write! The Canadian people are friendley eh! That's why I love Canada so much!!!
Well enjoy the rest of your stay!! I'm sure you will hehe!
See ya!
Karen
heee:)
zolang ik et niet int engels hoef vind ik et goed:D
suupertof om te lezen allemaal en vooral de brug, de frietjes(!) en et motel zijn echt de shit!:)
ik zie je in juni weer he hihi en VEEL plezier nog!
kusjee!
Post a Comment