Monday, 14 May 2007

Photo-report Capilano Suspension Bridge

In the comments on my Scienceworld postings, Kirsten was enthusiastically mentioning an attraction that I should definitely go to during my stay. The Capilano Suspension Bridge. As I always behave and listen to what Kirsten tells me, a trip to the wobbly bridge (as Irene named it) was scheduled on saturday. A photoreport:

A small theme-park was built around the bridge, mainly providing information on the history of the bridge, the owners and surrounding nature. The totem-poles were actually a way of representing native-Canadian peoples, or in this case: the entrance of the park.

Alex and Irene, two little monkies posing for a picture!

The famous bridge. A lot of people were horrified to even look at the thing; I almost talked a lady into crossing it, helping her to collect the will power, but she eventually backed out. The bridge looks very stable from a distance (or in these pictures) but when you're making your way over there it's VERY wobbly (:D)

I also recorder a video when I was crossing the bridge, but so far I've been unable to upload it to youtube. It's a cool piece of footage, showing the bridge and all the surroundings. Four minutes long and 70 mb in size and it can be downloaded HERE

You musn't think I have an obsession with large trees, it's just that I run into them all the time. This big boy was over 60 metres tall and would grow up to 90 metres (!!) It would most likely also out-live anyone who reads this blog.

A nice family picture which I insisted on making when we walking the 'Treetop adventure' Everyone look up and see cheeeeeeeeeeeeeese!

Well, as I realised there were hardly any pictures of me on this blog, I decided to photograph my mug and stick it on here. MSR!



A better glimpse of the treetop adventure. As you can we actually walked from tree-trop to tree-top at great heights, risking out very lives doing so. You should have seen us up there, true dare devils!

A picture that I made from the wobbly bridge down, showing what I could crash into when I'd lose my balance (or be pushed by someone). Appearantly, in 1999, a woman dropped her 18-month year old, disabled baby from the bridge. The child was seriously injured (how in the?) but was taken from its mother, as she lost legal custody.

You're in for a treat! Another picture of me, on Prospect Point in Stanley Park. In the background you can see the bridge that connects down-town Vancouver with North- and West Vancouver.

Although this picture wasn't taken at the Capilano bridge but in the back yard, I thought it would fit here very well! Monkey business! Picture taking credits go to Leon.

r x

7 comments:

Tobias said...

there we go :D i can make up for my absence by posting first here ;).

the park looks awsome :) you know i would've loved to go there. but the pictures will do for now.

i'm also really jealous on the golf cart race.. :( you know you're not allowed to race things without me :P eventough with me it's probably a lot safer...

anyway looking forward to more pictures of you keeping children bussy since that's been an eye opener for me ;).

Tobias

Tobias said...

without* i never make things safer :P

Anonymous said...

HAHA you silly guy... MSR in Vancouver? He is right here, on my couch! ;)

Ruben van Zantvoort said...

What! Make yourself known, gitty copy-cat!

You have no right using that alias!

Bart said...

Oh I'm bloody afraid of heights. Supposedly you are not.

What does MSR stand for?

Unknown said...

Ahhh that last picture is cute as hell...ahhh

kisses from Jules

Anonymous said...

Great work.